TUESDAY TALKS: What do you think of required reading in school?

So today i'm bringing you a...



This is set up by the wonderful Janie over at Bookworms Buddy, and Janelle at MrsJRodsReads. This really fun-to-do segment is basically, as the name implies, a talk each Tuesday about a book-related topic.

And this week's topic is:


What do you think of required reading in school?

I'm in a split decision with required reading because I love it but also hate it. Respect it but also despise it...

Let me explain, I think required reading can introduce you to books that you would never pick up otherwise. It can make you gain respect and discover a favourite book of yours. It can even make people fall in love with reading itself. So in this way it's a highly positive thing that I would recommend!

BUT...and this is a big but, English teachers everywhere like to drain the life out of books. Like seriously, I get that authors are clever people but somehow I don't think that half the shit teachers tell you, were actually the authors intentions. I feel like you study the required book TOO much so you know about every single little detail and meaning and phrases. Put it this way, I could most probably quote The Color Purple, but only the bits I needed for exams. They bleed novels dry of interpretation.

HELP ME! I'M TORN! What is your opinion of required reading?

That's it for this week's Tuesday Talks!

Don't forget to follow me on Bloglovin' to receive my latest posts!

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,