TUESDAY TALKS: Talk about your reading experiences...

So today i'm bringing you a...



This is set up by the wonderful Janie over at Bookworms Buddy, and Janelle at MrsJRodsReads. This really fun-to-do segment is basically, as the name implies, a talk each Tuesday about a book-related topic.

And this week's topic is:

Talk about your reading experiences...

So I'm a little unsure on today's topic but i'm basically going to take you on my personal reading journey.

I've been able to read since a very young age, around about 4 years old, obviously I'm not Einstein so let's not pretend i'm a genius or anything. Basically I always saw my mum and dad reading the newspaper and my mum always reading books. I was always encouraged to write, learn my letters, spell my name etc, before school began. Then obviously I went to school and carried on from there, reading my own school books alongside my books from home. I feel in love with reading and escaping into another World. It was nice to know that imagination could do all kinds!

Moving onto secondary school, one of my teachers i'll never forget is Miss Douglas. She basically molded me into a writer. She put me in for a Young Speaker's award in my first year where I had to write my own speech. OUCH! For a little weedy Year 7 who is trying to make new friends, do well in school and get the bus home on time every day, that is a lot of effort. For one, I didn't have the internet at home back then...yeah I know, get with the 21st century. For two, I wasn't assigned a topic to write about so HEY HO, I needed ideas. Miss Douglas helped me to talk about my ambition to be an author. She helped me to draft and redraft and read and redraft again. She taught me about Havisham and language and literature I wouldn't have picked up in a million years. I owe a lot to Miss Douglas.

As I got older I was reading more paranormal fiction like The Vampire Diaries series by L.J Smith, The Night World Series, The Fallen Series by Lauren Kate. But then...

Wait for it...

I entered the World of BookTube. Then the real party started! I never knew so many people were into reading just like me. I had about 2 friends I could talk to about books and then the rest literally thought I was an alien for reading a lot and that it was boring! SHOCK HORROR!

Now that I work in a primary school, my reading experience has changed an awful lot. I read just about any genre now (minus non-fiction, I can't stand real information) and enjoy them all. Also, i've found that i'm trying to influence a lot of the children to read. Whenever we go on school trips I encourage them to bring a book to read on the coach journey and I bring my own book to show it's something to be proud of. I can't count how many times i've read Biff, Chip and Kipper books, oh that effing magic key.

I think my future reading experiences are looking onwards and upwards, I can't wait for a child to say one day, Miss Towers influenced me to read. *Fiesta going on in my mind right now! WOO*

That's it for this week's Tuesday Talks! 

Let me know what you think about your own reading experiences in the comments below or on my twitter account right here!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,