REVIEW TIME: Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

Title: Fangirl


Author: Rainbow Rowell


Release Date: 30th January, 2014


Publisher: Pan MacMillan


Pages: 461 pages


"Cath and Wren are identical twins, and until recently they did absolutely everything together. Now they're off to university and Wren's decided she doesn't want to be one half of a pair any more - she wants to dance, meet boys, go to parties and let loose. It's not so easy for Cath. She's horribly shy and has always buried herself in the fan fiction she writes, where she always knows exactly what to say and can write a romance far more intense than anything she's experienced in real life.
Now Cath has to decide whether she's ready to open her heart to new people and new experiences, and she's realizing that there's more to learn about love than she ever thought possible ...
A tale of fanfiction, family, and first love"


Goodreads Link: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/19174917-fangirl

Amazon Link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fangirl-Rainbow-Rowell/dp/1447263227/ref=tmm_pap_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1433798998&sr=8-1-spell

REVIEW TIME

Here was my initial review on goodreads:


Characters:
Let's begin with the main character Cath. At first I really couldn't relate to her anxiety because i'm more of an extrovert than an introvert. After tweeting about not really understanding Cath, Rainbow Rowell decided to enlighten me and explained a little more about Cath. This really helped me to envision how she must feel inside and the person that she is. I actually ended up loving Cath and watching her transform.

The main reason for her transformation was Wren, her twin sister. Wren is a very stereotypical college girl character, but I feel as though she is needed in order for both characters to grow. I love the fact that this book contains twin main characters. Wren is the extrovert and seems to be the one who has taken charge whilst Cath has hidden behind her all these years. Wren can be a bit of a bitch in this book but she is still a major character.

Levi, Levi, Levi. My feelings for this boy are up and down. At first I loved him and then...you know...I didn't. I felt betrayed and as if I was part of this book (definitely a sign of a good author). In the end, I really did love him and how understanding he is. He isn't afraid to admit weakness, which is a great quality to male characters in any book.

Reagan is simply rough but lovable.

I felt really sorry for Art and his mental health has a real impact on the girls, especially Cath. Cath seems to be the one who wants to take care of him and ensure he is caring for himself. He doesn't want to be a burden to his girls and begins to understand that the girls have grown up and apart. At first, he must find it so hard to grasp that his twins aren't together 24/7 anymore. I thought he was a lovely father figure and definitely one for the contemporary books record book!

I have just one thing to say about Nick... Who the EFF do you think you are?!

Plot:
Cath and Wren did everything together until college, when Wren sprung the idea to Cath that maybe they should have different roommates. In a way, this is the real turning point in the book since Cath is totally hurt and feels pushed aside, whilst Wren feels liberated. Twins, so alike yet so different in personality. I found that Cath was so out of her comfort zone for the first section of this book. It's only as the book develops that she seems to develop as a character and feel more comfortable with the transition to college and away from her twin.

This is so different from other contemporary books where you have the only child or the girl with a younger brother etc. Although we don't hear from Wren's perspective during Fangirl, I think it is an important part of this book, that the main character is a twin. It gives a view into different personality types, almost contrasting personalities. Like I said earlier, at first I really didn't understand Cath, I suppose I was narrow-minded in the sense that I am not a shy person. She grows throughout this book and I feel like college develops her character so well. She blossoms, yet stays true to her geeky personality. I could totally understand the geeky side to her.

Their dorky relationship is the cutest thing I've ever read and not forgetting, most close to real life! I feel like every couple will be able to relate to at least one thing in Cath and Levi's relationship. The cuteness overload of her reading to him is just unbelievable! Their relationship is cool, easy and comfortable.

Overall, I loved this book! I was a little disappointed with the ending but when I took time to think about it...how else can you end a teenage love story without killing characters off?! So I decided that I really enjoyed it and it is well worth the hype.

Overall feelings:

My overall feelings after reading this book are...
"DEFINITELY WORTH THE HYPE"
I was surprised to find I loved this book, because normally when a book is hyped as much as this one is, it ruins it for you. However, that is totally not the case!
P.S. SIMON & BAZ FOREVER <3

RATING TIME

Moo Rating:

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,