TUESDAY TALKS: Biggest influence for your passion of reading?

So today i'm bringing you a...



This is set up by the wonderful Janie over at Bookworms Buddy, and Janelle at MrsJRodsReads. This really fun-to-do segment is basically, as the name implies, a talk each tuesday about a book-related topic.

And this week's topic is:


What is the biggest influence for your passion of reading?

I think every person is different and maybe I was just born a reader! I could read from a very young age, and not through intense obsessive parents, but through my own interest. Intensity can put children off reading, believe me I read with them everyday. If you're a reader, an artist, a mathematician, it's fate.

With that said, influence does make a big difference. As I was growing up, so was technology. PlayStation took off, as did Nintendo handheld consoles and Xbox, Gamecube, the list goes on. I am from the gaming era of the 90's. With this in mind, I liked my fair share of gaming, but books are my one true love and I have my mum to thank for that.

 The BIGGEST influence on my passion for reading would have to be my mother. As mentioned earlier, intensity in a certain subject like reading, can put someone off that subject. My mum was never the pushy parent, you must do this, you must do that. Her attitude was more like do what you enjoy, i'll guide you, it's up to you to listen. God damn it, her advice is right every single time. She took this approach to reading too, rather than force books down my throat, she simply would choose books as her own past-time. It worked! Her interest in reading, and me as a young child seeing my mum reading a lot, meant that I thought 'Hmmm...that looks like fun!'

I suppose it isn't just my mum who influenced me, even though she was a major part of it. My family as a whole knew about my bookworm identity and fed it like the Very Hungry Caterpillar. Every Christmas and Birthday I would get a new book from my Grandad and Nan...sometimes even duplicates, which led me to own 4 copies of 'The Curious Cat'!

Overall, I have my mum to thank for a lifelong hobby and passion, with a little push from other family members to get me to where I am now.

So without further ado, THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING MUM!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,